June 10, 2012

Recipe: leek, Potato and Kumara Soup




So a few weeks ago, I got my fruit and veg delivered as always from produce pronto, and with it I got a massive leek... now I've never cooked leek before, and only ever eaten it once - I know, I know... lol..

One thing I did know about leek was that they make a great soup... so off to google I went in search of a yummy leek soup recipe... I found one I like the sound of, printed it out... and made it... and it was devine... so good, I decided to share the recipe with you all.



Leek, Potato and Kumara Soup
Enough for 3-4 people for one meal, or dinner plus lunch to take to work for 2.

Pre-blending
INGREDIENTS
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (use less garlic if you prefer)
1 leek, washed well and sliced
2 medium sized kumara, cut into small cubes (I used purple ones, but use whichever you prefer)
4 medium sized potatoes, cut into small cubes (I used organic Agria)
1/4 tsp thyme
Nutmeg, freshly grated (if not use about 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg)
6 cups of stock (veg or chicken)
1/4 sour cream
Salt and cracked black pepper
50g (or large knob) of butter

Oil (I used rice bran oil, but you can use olive, canola or any other vegetable oil you have)
  1. Over a medium heat, melt the butter with a bit (oh...about 1 tsp) of oil - the oil helps to prevent the butter from burning.  Gently saute the onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
  2. Add the leek and thyme and continue to saute until the leek softens.
  3. Stir in the kumara, potatoes and nutmeg.
  4. Add the stock and 1 tsp of salt (check the stock you're using to see how salty it is first) and bring to boil on high heat.  Cover and reduce heat back to medium heat.  Cook covered until the potatoes and kumara are cooked through and soft.
  5. Blitz the mixture until smooth - I used an immersion stick blender - and then stir in the sour cream, mix well and heat through.
  6. Salt and pepper to taste - taste the soup and add more salt if required.
Post blending

Dinner is served {we had this with fresh ciabatta buns}

No comments: